Check In/Check Out
Independence Check-In Process
With many Scouts and Leaders arriving and checking in at the same time, we need your help. We want to make this the easiest, fastest and most efficient check-in process you’ve ever experienced. Staff will be available in the parking lot and at various check-in points to assist wherever needed.
- Upon arrival at Heritage your unit will be directed to the lines forming at the respective camp gates and will be asked to wait at the gate until 12:30 p.m. before proceeding to the camp. If you prefer not to wait in line, the line is usually gone by 1:00 p.m. Please arrive prior to 2:00 p.m. to be able to complete all check-in procedures before dinner.
- A member of the staff will meet you in the parking area and be your campsite host and will assist and lead your unit throughout the entire check-in procedure as well as give you a tour of camp so everyone is familiar with where things are located. They will provide a packet of information related to your stay.
- The unit leader responsible for all registration matters will report directly to the Program Hall with a complete roster, payment history and a form of payment for any unpaid fees. Unit bills will be settled at this time. Guest meals are paid during the week.
- The rest of the unit will move into your campsite with your gear. Only one vehicle per unit will be allowed to go past the parking lot and into your campsite. Unit trailers are allowed in most sites and must be parked in designated areas.
- As soon as possible, change into your swimming suits, grab a towel, put on shoes and continue to the medical recheck station at the Dining Hall. (You can come to camp wearing your swimsuit to save time.) Be sure to have all the medical forms with you. Be
prepared to present a copy of everyone’s forms for camp to keep in alphabetical order at the medical recheck station.
- After your medical recheck you will have your Dining Hall orientation.
- Next move to the Aquatics area for your swim tests. This is required for anyone to enter the Aquatics area during your stay. Each camper will receive a “buddy tag.”
- Return to your campsite, review and inspect camp issued gear with your campsite host, complete setup and get prepared for the opening campfire at 4:30 p.m. in the Council Circle. Please were your complete uniforms to Campfire and dinner.
- Flag lowering will be at 5:50 p.m. with dinner following.
Advancement Sign-up at Camp Independence
- When you arrive, you will receive a print out of all your Scouts and what advancements they are registered for according to the Online Registration System.
- See someone in the Program Hall on the day you arrive for questions about what advancement opportunities your Scouts should take or registration procedures.
- You will have the afternoon to look over the advancement printout and bring any changes (additions, deletions, etc.) to the Program Hall. At the absolute latest please turn these in by 4:30 pm.
- Our staff will then enter any corrections into the online database so the sooner you turn
your updates in the sooner we can provide our staff updated class rosters.
Independence Check-Out Process
With as many as 1,200 Scouts and Leaders departing at the same time, we need your help. We want to make this the easiest, fastest, and most efficient check-out process you’ve ever experienced. Staff will be available in the parking lot and at various check-out points to assist wherever needed.
Breakfast will be delivered to your campsite between 7 and 7:30 a.m.
- Sweep the floors and wipe down walls in the campsite latrine. Scrub and clean urinal, toilet seats, and washbasin. Be sure to wear gloves and wash hands afterward.
- Wash and rinse picnic tables.
- Clean all stoves, cooking and campsite equipment and return to the respective boxes. Return items checked out from the Quartermaster.
- Leave a complimentary woodpile for the next unit.
- Pick up all trash in and around your campsite. Sort your trash and take it to the dumpsters in the parking lots.
- Rinse out the waste receptacles.
- Review your campsite and camp equipment with your campsite host.
- Settle your unit’s account, pick up your patches other awards, and turn in your Adult Leader and youth evaluations at the Program Hall.
- Sign up for Heritage for next year if you have not done so already