Joint Study Committee - GPC & PWC
Joint Study Committee
TO: All Scouters in the Greater Pittsburgh and Penn’s Woods Councils
FROM: Council Presidents
Joseph Keller, Penn’s Wood Council
Mark Breedlove, Greater Pittsburgh Council
Following a comprehensive review of all Scouting programs in the Penn’s Woods Council and Greater Pittsburgh Council, the Joint Study Committee and Council Key 3’s have made a recommendation to their respective Boards to formally proceed with a Council merger. The Merger Committees have reviewed their findings, and have concluded that the quality of the Scouting program would improve for the youth of all communities served by the newly merged Council. On Tuesday, March 8, 2011, both boards voted to move forward with this process.
The result of each Committees’ review is included in summary form on this website. Additionally, PowerPoint presentations that were presented to each of the Boards are included on this site. The Greater Pittsburgh Council presentation is entitled “The Case for a Better Outcome for the Youth in our Community", and the Penn's Woods Coucnil presntation is entitled "Putting Youth First"
The next steps in the process as we move forward are:
- Fireside Chats will be held in each district during March and April to discuss the merger.
- A contest will be initiated to select a name for the new Council. Following the new Council organization, a contest for a new shoulder strip will be held. Winner of each will receive for their family an expense paid trip to the site of the new Bechtel Summit High Adventure Base for a behind the scenes “building of the base” tour, and will have the opportunity to experience a high adventure activity- zip lining, whitewater, mountain biking or a guided photo tour.
- A joint Nominating Committee will be formed by March 15th to select Key Council Leadership and propose a slate for a new Executive Board.
- New Council Charter and By-Laws and other legal matters associated with new entity will be proposed.
- A Council Annual Meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 26, 2011, to vote on the merger. Notification of the meeting will be sent to all registered members of the Council and Chartered Organization members.
We hope that you are as excited as we are about the possibilities to grow our great movement and enhance the quality of program each Scout receives.
Mark H. Breedlove
Greater Pittsburgh Council
Joseph G. Keller
Penn's Woods Council
New Laurel Highlands Council President Jim Crawford gives first address at the Council Annual Meeting.
Greater Pittsburgh Council and Penn's Woods Council Announce Merger