Guidelines for Using Cannons
Any time a cannon or other large bore artillery device is used for council
or district events, the following guidelines must be met. These guidelines do
not address shotgun or muzzle loader use. See Guide to Safe Scouting for
this. Units are not authorized, under any circumstances, to use a cannon or
any other large bore artillery device.
All of the following requirements must be met under these guidelines.
- All recommendations/specifications of the manufacturer for using
the cannon or other device must be followed.
- The type of powder used must be appropriate for the cannon or other
device and the load cannot exceed the manufacturer's recommendations
or commonly accepted recommendations by firearms authorities.
- Powder must be stored according to the regulations of the Department
of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. (www.atf.gov)
- The cannon or other device cannot be not loaded with any type of
- The cannon or other device must be certified safe annually by a qualified
gunsmith with cannon or large bore artillery device expertise.
- The standards of the American Artillery Association must be followed.